Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Life on Grendel’s Fen



I have decided to keep this journal so that posterity may wonder and marvel at an unfathomed past otherwise naively and blithely dismissed:



Sabbath...

Ordinary men are guided
By Religion and Philosophy,
Coalesced out of the storms and mists
Of visionaries and madmen. 

Grendel knows neither. 
Testicles and stomach goad Grendel. 
Yet Grendel knows ...


 

Workday...

Factories, anthills of the urban desert

Offices, hermetically sealed


 Outside ...


Black fly
Nasty
Roils in putrid garbage
Copulates
Many nasty black flies’
Larvae dot dog turd
Maggots burrow dead squirrel
Mired in mud
Nasty black fly

Delirious house fly batters
Windex-clean glass pane
Baffled
buzz buzz buzz
Crystal prison
Invisible barrier

Such a fly am I!






Fen-rot feeds fen-life...

Grendel knows

Why need Grendel know of the Phoenix,

Conceit of a desert people?





Morning...
 Sun blossoms out of night-dark,
Humus of expired sun 


Day..


...And night,

Electronic Desert denizens scan pixels,
Sightless,

Uncomprehending of the Fen...


Grendel devours live boar
Squeals; smell fresh blood

Dragon snorts fire

Hissing snake swallows screaming mice
Spastic convulsions; venom


Lady walks poodle on leash


Sightless and Uncomprehending



Grendel illustration by J.R. Skelton
Stories of Beowulf (1908)
Note:

I wrote the text seventeen years ago in 1998, two years after buying our homestead property, which I imagined from the beginning as Grendel’s Fen because of the ephemeral wetland in the far-back acreage- so wild and unvalued by the unseeing masses... but I loved it.

For more in this vein, click on "I Live in a Trailer'"


1 comment:

  1. I really should re-read the stories to better appreciate your piece. I had the pleasure of creating a Grendel with our son Erik last October. Please see: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154762262330137&set=pcb.10154762263190137&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete

Please, constructive comments only.