Interesting discussion this beautiful sunny afternoon with nine
friends about raw poetic inspiration and the synergies (or not) when text
is juxtaposed with graphics. So if you might possibly be interested, take a minute or so to find out:
The exploration began with a short text on the wellspring of
poetic inspiration: from whence does it flow?
(The Unknown Vessel, by Stephen Rowe)
You are a vessel
That you know not
We all are
And discovery comes
To those who
Not knowing
What is there
Simply let it flow
From that Unfathomable
Inner place
Where it resides
The group of nine unanimously agreed this text is indeed a poem,
but that need not have been the case, and we could have proceeded as we did by
pulling the ‘rabbit‘ out of the hat and asking:
OK, now
that you see the same words in a more graphical context below, does the work seem
more poetic, or not?
This is where our inquiry became really interesting:
The
Unknown Vessel, text by Stephen Rowe
Illustration
by Max Liebert, from Ludwig Fulda's Aladin
und die Wunderlampe
(Aladdin
in the Magic Garden)
Most answered that yes, the beautiful graphic was synergistic and
the poem felt more poetic in that context. But one participant felt that the
unadorned reading was more direct and that the graphical context distracted
from the language… And yet another was able to articulate a polarity: reading
the initial text connected her more directly to the language while the
graphically enhanced version focused her more on the bounteous flow; perhaps
equally poetic, but in different ways.
**************************************************
I have been especially interested in these questions because for
several years (since 2011) I have been juxtaposing graphics and text in
synergistic or ironic contexts to create heightened meaning – something that
could scarcely have been done prior to the internet's graphical feast. So very much
to work with, and yet the opportunities are so neglected.
Of course the ubiquitous internet memes are legion, so these “found
art” opportunities are not all lost, but I have seen almost no “real people” I
know exploiting the possibilities, despite so many people snapping so many
photos and having so much to say!
But I believe in time more people will see as I do; that
this is a New Art Form of the people capable of conjuring
personal satisfaction and significant revelation, as I have found over the past
several years.
Note: For an extended example of these text/graphic juxtapositions see The Saga of Geezer Blue, a pseudonym by which I am known by some.
Note: For an extended example of these text/graphic juxtapositions see The Saga of Geezer Blue, a pseudonym by which I am known by some.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please, constructive comments only.